Passports and Visas


In order to study or travel abroad, you must have a valid passport.  If you do not already have a passport, apply for one IMMEDIATELY. Many countries also require that you have a visa, which grants you permission to visit or study in your host country. Be sure to carefully follow all passport  and visa instructions.



Ways to Apply for a Passport: Passport & Visa Tips:

In person at your local Passport Acceptance Facility. 

By mail using a passport application from the State Department.

By mail using a passport application from a U.S. Post Office.

APPLY EARLY! It may take four to ten weeks to receive your passport.

Most drug stores with photo services can take passport photos for about $10.00 or less.

If you were born in Pennsylvania, you can receive a copy of your birth certificate for $10.00.

Make a clear copy of the front page of your passport. Separate it from your other copies and leave a copy with your parents and/or guardians.




© Vira I. Heinz Program for Women in Global Leadership, All Rights Reserved.