Vision: Raise awareness of issues in Sub-Saharan Africa such as educational opportunity and HIV/AIDS.
Community Need: The Pittsburgh community may not be aware of issues in Sub-Saharan Africa and local organizations that address such issues.
Impact: The CEE team encouraged community involvement and awareness by hosting an evening of activities including a keynote speaker, eight interactive stations, and resources to local organizations, all focusing on issues in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Skill Building Resources
- Planning Meetings
- Effective Communication
- Conflict Resolution
- Identifying an Issue
- Developing a Vision Statement
- Conducting a Resource Analysis
Other Panel/Speaker & Roundtable Ideas
- Tanesha Waid (2011, Arcadia) drew on her experience in Vietnam to create "A Knight of Giving," a luncheon followed by a panel and roundtable discussion on the foster care system in the United States and abroad.
Team Members (left to right):
- Emily Cowan (Duquesne, Tanzania, Children, Youth, and Families)
- Rebecca Sedlmeyer (Pitt Johnstown, Austria, Arts & Culture)
- Molly Knapp (Pitt Titusville, Tanzania, Children, Youth, and Families)
- Estrellita Olvera (Pitt Titusville, Tanzania, Arts & Culture)
- Tara Matthews (Pitt Oakland, Tanzania, Economic Opportunity)
- Anne Black (Duquesne, Morocco, Children, Youth, and Families)