Deciding what to pack for your time abroad can be overwhelming. Several key factors can help you to be as prepared as possible for your time abroad. For starters, PACK LIGHTLY! Also, be sure to weigh your luggage before heading to the airport, keeping your airline provider's luggage weight restrictions and requirements in mind. If you have layovers and are flying with multiple different airlines, be sure to check the weight restrictions for each airline. The same goes for the carry-on policy; some airlines have strict size restrictions for what can count as a carry-on.
What goes in carry-on luggage
- Passport and copies of your passport
- Prescription medications in their original bottles
- Copies of your prescriptions and flight itineraries
- A list of important phone numbers and addresses
- Proof of vaccinations
- Spare clothing (one set)
- If you pack any toiletries place them in a one-quart, clear, plastic, zip-top bag
- Any liquids can be no larger than 3.4oz
What goes in checked luggage
- Clothes (make sure the clothes you pack are appropriate for the country you are traveling to)
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Umbrella or raincoat
- Electrical converter
- Reusable water bottle
- Space! Save room in your luggage to bring items home.
- For an extensive list, please visit the TSA website.