In order to study or travel abroad, you must have a valid passport. If you do not already have a passport, apply for one immediately. Many countries also require that you have a visa, which grants you permission to visit or study in your host country. Be sure to carefully follow all passport and visa instructions. To determine whether or not you will need a visa, go to the State Department's travel website and type the country you are studying in into the search bar on the right hand side of the page.
Ways to Apply for a Passport
- In-person at your local Passport Acceptance Facility.
- By mail using a passport application from the State Department.
- By mail using a passport application from a U.S. Post Office.
Passport & Visa Tips
- APPLY EARLY! It may take four to ten weeks to receive your passport.
- Most drug stores with photo services can take passport photos for about $10.00 or less.
- If you were born in Pennsylvania, you can receive a copy of your birth certificate for $10.00.
- Before you leave for your international experience, make a copy of the front page of your passport and leave it with your parents, guardians, or someone you trust.