Passports and Visas

In order to study or travel abroad, you must have a valid passport.  If you do not already have a passport, apply for one immediately. Many countries also require that you have a visa, which grants you permission to visit or study in your host country. Be sure to carefully follow all passport and visa instructions. To determine whether or not you will need a visa, go to the State Department's travel website and type the country you are studying in into the search bar on the right hand side of the page. 

Ways to Apply for a Passport

Passport & Visa Tips

  • APPLY EARLY! It may take four to ten weeks to receive your passport.
  • Most drug stores with photo services can take passport photos for about $10.00 or less.
  • If you were born in Pennsylvania, you can receive a copy of your birth certificate for $10.00.
  • Before you leave for your international experience, make a copy of the front page of your passport and leave it with your parents, guardians, or someone you trust.